Guidelines for Home Care if you have sustained minor head injury It is unfortunate to sustain a head injury. There are however certain things you can do.
- It is important to be properly assessed by a doctor or a medical trained personnel after a head injury as symptoms may manifest within 24 hours.
- Ensure the patient gets adequate rest.
- A liquid diet or nothing by mouth maybe needed in case of nausea or vomiting
- Take medication as indicated. Do contact the doctor if you have any side effects
- If any of the symptoms below occur, it is recommended to seek medical attention
Symptoms after a minor headache injury include to minimise the effects of head injury.
- Mild headache
- Slight nausea
- Severe headache and irritability
- Loss of consciousness or unarousable
- Convulsions or weakness in any parts of body
- Severe vomiting
- Ear or nose discharge
- High fever > 38.5
- Abnormal breathing ( too fast or too slow Normal 10 to 14 breaths per minute)
Do not hesitate to seek medical attention if you have any doubts as careful observations and early clarifications save lives.